Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Happy Tails To YOU -- Yes, You!

Or, more appropriately, "You (go) to Happy Tails!"

I updated the post from yesterday to plug them, but seriously -- if you live in the Nashville area, and have room in your life for a pet (and a very few bucks), please go visit them. Their website is here, and they never have a shortage of dogs and cats who need good, responsible and loving homes.

I've been through a lot of crap the last 3+ years, and I really don't know what would have kept me as (relatively) sane as I am, had it not been for Curly -- my too-cool-for-school off-the-rack brown tabby (whose photos are plastered all over this blog), who was rescued by Happy Tails back in late 2002.

For those who haven't heard the story, it goes like this: My wingnut friend, J.J., and his awesome wife Erica (pictured at right, with former Tennessee Titans WR Derrick Mason), convinced me -- after seeing how well their cat and I got along (and both of them knowing that I'd recently had to euthanize another cat who was briefly in my care, B.B. -- another story) -- that I should consider getting another cat. Since they'd adopted their kitty from Happy Tails, they talked me into driving down with them to Franklin one day to check into it all. Erica really just wanted an excuse to go back to see and interact with all the kitties, I am sure. :)

Anyway, we arrive, and it's an unseasonably cool, rainy early June day. We go directly into the cat room, which has about 40 cats in it... about a dozen are wandering about the room, or lounging on the many elaborate cat perches therein. The rest are in cages (or "condos," as the Happy Tails folx are wont to call them), along the walls. I start in one corner, visiting each caged kitty. About a third of the way through the room, I happen upon Curly's cage. He's crying pitiably, and when I put my hand up to the cage to pet him through the wire, he starts immediately licking my fingers. That was just too unusual. So, we ask if he can be let out into the room, and, after a quick "compatibility check" of the room, the staff lets him out. I get a good look at him, and pet him some more, and then, I continue visiting with the rest of the kitties.

I was in the room for at least another 20-30 minutes, visiting with all the cats. During the entire time, Curly literally never strayed more than a few feet from me. I couldn't help but notice that he was following me around the room, and I finally had to admit that he had chosen me. I couldn't ignore that, so I filled out the paperwork, wrote a check, and he went home with me in a cardboard cat carrier that day.

Just a few weeks later, I'd be resigning the best job of my life, due to ethical incompatibility... and a year or so later, losing my home. Curly was with me through all that, and beyond. On my worst day, he never fails to make me smile -- or, more often, laugh out loud, due to his antics, which only other cats can fully understand.

Honestly -- don't you need a Curly in your life?
.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Jeffraham,

What a great background story on your acquisition of Curly.

I live with cats vicariously through your Curly, 4Legs Good's Lion Kitty Maxx, and NTodd's Sam, among others.

I had two Siamese cats (one lasted almost 18 years!) then found out I was allergic to cats (!) -- THAT was why I sneezed all the time and couldn't breathe due to asthma and had to use an inhaler.

Anyway, I adore cats and wish I could adopt a new one for myself. As it is, I have a friend who just adopted a 6-year old black cat named Chumley and today I had lunch with two friends who have four cats between them and said they'd be delighted if I blogged their cats for them. They're taking a photo course for digital cameras at a Valley college and maybe I'll learn something from them in addition to what you told me recently about your own (wonderful) photos of Curly.

What a love Curly is and he seemed to know just what you needed even before you did.

Pen Ultimate said...

Sandy-LA 90034 -- Thanks again. Yeah, I've told the story any number of times throughout the blogosphere, but I like tellin' it. :)

There's an expensive, non-allergenic cat available, I hear. $50K. It's genetically-modified. Didja know it's not the dander... it's the saliva? It was news to me, too.

I'm also allergic, but only mildly. As long as I wash my hands after petting, and before touching my face, I'm fine. When I was a kid, I was much worse off, but I think the exposure/desensitization thing recommended by the old country doctor (who delivered me, and was my M.D. until I left home at 20) worked out pretty well.
.

Anonymous said...

$50K!!!! Maybe in my next life!

Now that I think back, my family had several dogs as pets, but not cats. If we'd had cats maybe I would have become desensitized, too.

But I would never trade those wheezy years with my two babies. I really loved those guys and they were a constant source of pleasure and laughter.

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes I do need a Curly.

And I really appreciate you many Curly photo offerings. S'wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Sandy-la--I was told that Siberian Forest cats don't have dander, due to their far northern environment--or something. I haven't tested this hypothsis, though I do want to.

They're biggish cats, but extremely agile and reputed to have lovely personalities. I was told they can jump straight up to the top of a door--and balance there with perfect ease. A 10 on balance beam.

jawbone

Post a Comment