Monday, June 19, 2006

Haters

Seems like a lot of folks these days are looking for safe targets for their hate, and Time Hardiman of WKRNsports.com has found his/her own: Hippies.

Now, I have no idea who Hardiman is, but Hardiman has the keys to the employer's website, presumably. If his/her parents actually named him/her "Time," maybe he/she has more reason than most to hate hippies. Regardless, how smart does it seem to use one's employer's website to express hate?

My free advice to Time? Don't drink and post.
.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'd sooner spend time with the stupidest hippie than with the smartest republican.

Anonymous said...

There's a Master's thesis hiding in the discourse of Republicans. (Too bad I already have an MA.) I would really like to know why "hippie" and "Commie" are still pejoratives in the Republican idiolect. There is ample terminology in linguistics and rhetoric to describe the process by which the meanings of words become shaded with connotations (positive or negative), but this persistence of pejoration -- long after its useful historical moment has passed -- disturbs me.

Sorry about that -- it's awfully early in the morning for language geeking, isn't it?

Pen Ultimate said...

BlakNo1 -- Having done both, I generally concur. :)

Interrobang: Sorry about that -- it's awfully early in the morning for language geeking, isn't it?

Never! I think it's just another case of someone (likely, young, dumb, Republican) boiling over with hate, and looking to lash out at a so-called "safe" target. Not so sure WKRN will find the humor, so to speak.
.

Anonymous said...

Wow, didn't mean to create such a stir. I left a simple explanation and an apology on the blog. Have a good day and thanks for checking us out.

Tim Hardiman

Anonymous said...

The blog's being guest-hosted by Eric Cartman, I guess...

Anonymous said...

The blog entry is gone.

Pen Ultimate said...

phinky -- Gee, that's a surprise. Not! ;)

That's why I saved the honkin' huge screenshot...
.

Post a Comment