Saturday, June 24, 2006

Indeed, I Am Blessed

A person who shall remain anonymous (for now, pending permission) has sent me the Holy Grail of my musical pursuits: The entire eponymous first album by The Bears, in mp3 format. Holy Shit, Superboy! You can't imagine how overjoyed I am to have these tunes. I gave this away in my great vinyl purge of many moons ago (and, I didn't capitalize that, 'cause I never had that much vinyl to begin with, really -- I bought vinyl, and taped it, and in most cases, gave the LP away, 'cause I never had a decent turntable), and have kicked myself in the ass ever since.

So now, I wish to share with y'all, a really fun and entertaining power pop tune (adult themes, folx!):


I think Molly Ivors will especially be interested in this, as I doubt she's heard any of these guys' work. If my anonymous benefactor will allow, I'd love to share some of the e-mail that accompanied the first tune, as it's a bit of history concerning The Bears, The Raisins, and all manner of fun information.
.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Heck, go ahead -- everybody involved already knows everything I told you. I think Molly Ivors has mentioned she's heard of some of this bunch -- likely the Bears, possibly psychodots. They certainly qualify as power pop.

During various financial straits over the years, I've let go of albums I wished I hadn't. I know the feeling, as you probably guessed. Not that I didn't think The Kind's "Pain And Pleasure" was destined to be a one-hit wonder album that would go out of print before all the original copies made it to the cut-out bin, but that's the breaks.

Funny story about "Fear Is Never Boring" -- the line about Queen Victoria was Rob Fetters's mistake, he already knew it before The Bears recorded it. In honor of that whole thing -- which became a great inside joke for local Raisins fans -- Bob Nyswonger (Bears bassist) wrote a song that they performed as psychodots called "Catherine The Great" (who was, of course, the one who was rumoured to have known her horses in the ... ahem ... biblical sense). He just released a solo album, that one is on it.

Cheers -- I've had 'Meet Me In The Dark' running through my head off and on the past couple of days, since we played the ripped album back to make sure it didn't sound too bad. It's the best earworm I've had in ages!

Pen Ultimate said...

Expedition Sailor -- Thank you so much for sending me these great tunes. I will treasure them, I promise!

As for the excerpts from the e-mail... I'll take care not to leave anything too identifying in there (not that there's much other than the locales involved, and that's pretty broad).
.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Bears/Raisins! When I lived farther south in the Dayton area I could get WEBN and they played Raisins/Bears. As did WOXY.

I'll have to acquire those for my own collection, someday.

Post a Comment