Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dear Congressman Cooper

I'm a selfish prick.

I just wrote to you to urge you to sponsor a resolution rebating me my federal gasoline tax in full at the end of each tax year. Why?

I'm selfish. But I think it ultimately might be an incentive for more people to give up unnecessary car trips.

My sole vehicle now is a 150cc gasoline-powered, 4-stroke, 1 cylinder scooter. It gets ~90 mpg, and has a top speed of 50 mph. By Tennessee law, I have to insure it for liability (agreed), and it is not allowed on the Interstate highway system (too slow, underpowered, which I agree with, completely).

Since it is so fuel efficient, and does not use federal roadways, I think a rebate of federal fuel excise taxes for all provable receipts (up to the fuel capacity of the tank of the vehicle; in my case, 1.2 gallons) is an excellent idea for a Democratic tax cut -- and it helps our energy defecit, and improves our environment. It also encourages public transport for longer trips.

A scooter of this type can be had, new, for $1200. A tax credit towards fuel-efficient vehicles will also be a wise tax credit for the American people.

How to pay for it? Roll back part of the tax cuts on the wealthiest 1% of Americans. Easy.
.

3 comments :

Interrobang said...

That's a really brilliant idea, Jeffraham!

chez bez said...

I agree with every word. I've been wanting to buy a Vespa for several months now.

A tax credit would certainly fuel (sorry) my decision.

Steve Williams said...

I purchased a Vespa over a year ago for fun. The economic benefits were unlooked for but great. My Ford Ranger truck sits in the driveway most of the time now as it's annual mileage has dropped below 1000 miles. The Vespa is the transportation workhorse year round and when it can't hit the road (heavy snow or ice) I take the bus. If you think the scooter is only for short trips around town I can attest to the fact that it can and will go anywhere. In Pennsylvania the 150cc Vespa meets the horsepower restrictions for the Interstate highways. I have ridden on them during low traffic but always prefer secondary roads for the adventure.

You can read more about Vespa riding, pictures, etc at my blog Scooter in the Sticks.

steve

Post a Comment