Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bomb-Throwing Shitstorm Dance

I'm always steppin' in it. It's just how I roll.

Violence against women is no laughing matter. When I said
All I know is that I do something dangerous every day, and I always wear a helmet while doing it.

I’m thinking a helmet might be a solution to ward off everyday personal assault issues.
... I might have hoped I had sufficiently prefaced that remark with my first comment:
You already know what I’m going to say…
However, that was unreasonable, and I apologize for any callousness that was perceived.

By way of explaining what my nebulous and ultimately vacuous comments were actually meant to convey, let me start here.

I can't change the laws of physics, and yet I undertake the cheating of death every day by co-existing on public roads with H1 Hummers and cement trucks, during rush hour, no less. My everyday vehicle weighs 165 pounds, carrying a full tank of fuel. I weigh more than it does.

Knowing this, I do my best to mitigate the risks involved. I wear a DOT and Snell Foundation-approved full-face helmet. I wear a heavy leather jacket. I wear the dorky-looking optic yellow vest.

So, random violence against women, while they shop, ride the bus, etc.

Seems to be a sociological/social psychology issue, in the main. There's no magic wand to make that change that I can see, so how do we mitigate the risks?

No -- wearing a helmet is not a pragmatic solution, but neither is living in fear, locked inside your house, ordering groceries from Plumgood, and everything else from Amazon and eBay.
.

No comments :

Post a Comment