Friday, November 24, 2006

A Good Night's Sleep

A couple of peeps have written, after having looked at my newly-added Amazon Wish List, wanting to know what I need with that piece of ominous-looking medical gear. Well, I must confess: I am a hosehead.

The mask is connected (by a hose!) to a device called a CPAP -- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure -- and is used to treat obstructive sleep apnea, which I have. It's common among people with short lower jaws, fat faces and necks, all of which I also have. It is sadly underdiagnosed, because most people don't realize they have it -- all they know are the symptoms, with excessive daytime sleepiness and depression leading the pack.

Doctors are getting better at recognizing the symptoms and ordering polysomnography for patients, but realize that this condition was not well understood until the 1960s... and the CPAP wasn't developed as a treatment until the 1980s. Many in the medical community are only now beginning to recognize the signs and be aware of the risks associated with leaving OSA untreated -- premature death due to cardiologic stresses being the primary concern (well, duh!). Untreated OSA also makes one far more likely to be injured or die in an automobile accident, as I nearly did, falling asleep at the wheel. I avoided the accident, but it was that event one morning on I-440 that caused me to call the doctor, that very day.

The CPAP was nothing short of miraculous in improving my quality of life. I awoke after my first good night's sleep in years, using the CPAP, ready to leap tall buildings in a single bound. I felt 30 lbs. lighter, and ten years younger. After a week, I was bouncing off the walls, having paid off a chunk of sleep debt that I didn't even know was due.

Anyway, parts wear out, and if I could find one, I'd get a new face cushion for my Mirage mask system, but they're getting tough to find, having been superceded a few years ago by the improved Mirage Ultra mask system you see here. In truth, the last face cusion I bought was $55, so the cushion itself isn't much cheaper than a whole new mask. I've gotten about 3x the lifespan out of this cushion by thoroughly washing and drying it, but the skin oils do eventually break down the latex, as is happening now with mine. It's not impossible to get a good seal, but I have to crank the headgear down tighter as time goes by, causing headaches and whatnot.
.

3 comments :

Pen Ultimate said...

Buckeye, Dealer of Rare Coins -- There's a lot of non-compliance out there amongst OSA sufferers with their CPAPs. Not being able to get comfortable with the mask is the big issue, and believe me, when I had my first titration during my first polysomnogram, I wondered if I could do it, too. It's too important NOT to use it, so...

A little research on the net led me to realize that there were much more comfy systems available. I got to locally try out and buy a ResMed Mirage mask system, and I've used noting but, ever since. When the cushion is new, it practically sticks to your face, forming a good seal with almost no pressure from the headgear required. I hope the Mirage Ultra is as good, a it seems to be the only one similar that's currently available.

Never wanted to go the nasal pillows route... can't stand the thought of sticking anything up my nose for that amount of time. ;)
.

Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

First time I saw someone wear one of these things it freaked me out. I had an immediate "Blue Velvet" flashback.

Now I'm thinking maybe Mr. Beale needs one ...

:-0

Litzz11@yahoo.com said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment