Saturday, November 25, 2006

Worth The Wait

Yep, I done went and used that Kroger gift card halfway up this morning, on the fixin's for hillbilly ambrosia -- biscuits and gravy! Whoo-hooo! I haven't had any homemade biscuits and gravy in forever, and I wasn't sure I could pull it off... making the gravy is an art AND a science, I fear, and it doesn't always turn out they way one would like, at least when Chef Jeff's whoopin' it up, anyway. :)

Now, I was at a disadvantage, 'cause I was sure I had some plain white flour in the cupboard... and I did not. So, I substituted a bit of pancake mix. After all, it's mostly flour. It worked well, but the resulting gravy was sweeter than it would have otherwise been. At least I know it will work, in a pinch...

Here's what you have to start with (besides the pork product of your choice):

These are light, fluffy, moist biscuits that are melt-in-your-mouth good. Not like granny made -- better, IMO. They're found in the grocer's frozen section, and take about 20 minutes in a 400°F oven (middle rack), on an ungreased baking sheet to be golden brown on top, and slightly crisp on the bottom. Damn, these are gooooooo-ood, as Andy might say.

The results? Not too damn bad, considering:

I'm full as a tick, Martha.
.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard anyone other than myself say "full as tick" in years. When I first heard it as a kid my Alabama Grandma said it wasn't a very nice thing to say. I still say it! You know what they call a large biscuit in Alabama? A "cat head!" Sorry, Curly! I have 8 cats...no wonder I love to lurk at Eschaton.

Post a Comment