Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fat Guys Who Smoke

... should not ride bicycles. Especially if they're 43.

UPDATE: Even more obviously true, now. By the time I biked up to the Student Life Center, I realized two things: I was incredibly tired, and it looked like it was gonna rain a good 'un. I skipped Bob Herbert, figuring that I didn't want to risk not having the energy to ride the extra mileage home (since the last bus going west of White Bridge leaves town by 6:00), and knowing that the Vanderbilt News Service (about whom I cannot say enough good thangs) would record the discussion, and have it available for download tomorrow.

I might have ridden a total of 5 miles, today, and yet I know I will be sore, tomorrow. Very sore. Using muscles that one hasn't used in in quite that way, in, oh... 5+ years? Always soreness. It's amazing how terrain one had always considered relatively flat is instantly transformed into "just enough incline to keep one from coasting." From my place to the bus stop? About 90% uphill (slightly; over the 1.5 miles, I bet there isn't but 10 or 15 ft. difference in elevation). The plus side, of course, is the long coast home! :)

So, the soreness is coming. That's why the FSM (or Al Gore, one) invented ibuprofen, y'know. But I see the positives. Maybe this will help motivate me to quit smoking, again, and stay in good (well, better) physical form. What a practical way to exercise!

It's funny... I got up really early, prepped for this. Good thang, too -- I ended up stopping at ACE Hardware, right there by the bus stop, before the bus was to arrive, 'cause I figured they HAD to have bike locks. With my luck with property crime lately, I figured I'd better not chance it... not on a college campus, for sure! Turns out they had exactly one -- a cable, w/combination lock, so I bought it.

Well, anyway, I'm tard. An early bedtime, tonight. But first, a shower.
.

1 comment :

Sandy-LA 90034 said...

A friend of mine who has been trying to quit for a couple of years lately and has tried with both the patch and the gum, is having good luck with something called "Chantix." She's on day 12 without cigarettes (the longest she's been able to go) and says she doesn't have ANY cravings.

Post a Comment