Monday, July 21, 2014

Dollar Store Dementia

See this?  Yes, of course you do. It's a solar-powered 3-LED lamp I got at Dollar Tree. For... $1. Plus tax. So here, $1.10. Cheap, Chinese crap, right?

Well, sure -- what isn't, these days?  Amazingly, they actually work!  For now. At $1/ea., I splurged, and bought six.

At 5 a.m., they were still providing enough light in the bathroom to at least conduct a necessary transaction in there, if need be. And they were on from ~8:30, last night?  Yeah -- they automagically come on at dark if you leave the switch on (and shut off when there's enough light to charge by), which is a lot to ask from something that cost a buck, I think.

But I want MOAR.

Six more ought to do for the bathroom. I'm going to affix them to a strip of clear acrylic plastic, and put a nylon rope handle on each end, so that I can hang it/them in a window, and then elsewhere where a little illumination could be handy at night.
.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

my comment is that white type on a very light green background is impossible to read without highlighting it. Just sayin'.

As to the lamps, it sounds entirely practicable if you treat it as a high-tech kerosene lantern. I would turn off any you don't need as soon as it is dark enough for them to come on, so as to save the charge for when needed. The achilles heel of these type gadgets is the rechargeable batteries, they are good for about 2-3 years on the outside type I use around the yard pond. of course those are exposed to dirt and weather 24x7 so indoor models might do better. ymmv. :)

xan

Pen Ultimate said...

Background should be very dark green. As it is on all my screens. :)

Conni said...

Interesting! Anxious to see how it works out.

StatsGrandma's Office Hours said...

You're very skilled at living simple.

Post a Comment