Friday, February 24, 2006

Video PeckerBlogging

Get your minds out of the gutter, you scamps.

One of the neat things about warm, mid-60F days in West GnashVegas is getting to leave the balcony door open -- which causes Curly no end of consternation. Whenever I do this, regardless of whether he's inside or on the balcony, he stays within a foot of the open door.

Today, I heard a sound that made me grab the GL-1, and as unwilling as my subject seemed to be, I managed to get a 30-second clip out of him, anyway.



Click the photo to see the video.
.

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Great clip. Aren't they just the coolest birds?

Anonymous said...

I would say that the guy from Escahton is right!

Pen Ultimate said...

Heh! ;)
.

Anonymous said...

Well, when discussing your pecker it is always important to first determine its size.

What? No, I am not disobeying the "out of the gutter" admonition! It sez right here in my Peterson First Guide to Birds that the Downy 'Pecker is quite nearly identical to the Hairy 'Pecker (I swear to God I am not making this up, it's on p. 63! Really!) except for the fact that the Downy is circa 6.5 inches long while the Hairy is more like 9.5.

It it hard to tell size from a distance--in the picture I mean!--since there is nothing handy to give a sense of scale. So next time you need to examine your 'pecker and estimate where it rates in this regard. Oh, and you measure from the tip of the beak to the end of the tail, so you may have to persuade it to stretch out as you hold the tape measure to it.

I'm going away now.....

Pen Ultimate said...

Xan -- Haw!

I'd say this was a Downy, as opposed to Hairy... I don't think he was anywhere close to 9.5"! Although I have some girlfriends who, after my tutelage, might disagree...
.

Anonymous said...

Love the sights and sounds of spring.

It's freezing here with winds out of the north blowing like crazy.

Thanks for the glimpse into warmer places.

Pen Ultimate said...

pie -- It's in the high 50F range here, today. Yesterday, even with the door open, it got up to 70F in the condo... which is 5F higher than I've ever had the furnace set for kicking on...
.

Post a Comment